Extended loss of service at cam.ctan.org

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 14:38:29 CEST 2007

The Cambridge CTAN services suffered an extended failure of their
network support, from approx. 1130 BST yesterday morning (2007-06-13) to
approx. 0715 BST this morning.  (We have not yet had a coherent
explanation of what went wrong, from our network service provider, but
it is clear that the backup routing and other redundancy provisions
simply didn't work.)

We therefore suffered extended outage of
  ftp.tex.ac.uk (aka cam.ctan.org)
  www.tex.ac.uk, including the UK TeX FAQ, and
  rsync.tex.ac.uk

My apologies to all our users.  Should it turn out that something other
than ordinary incompetence was the cause of the failures, interested
parties will no doubt be able to read all about it, some time soon, on
the risks forum (or newgroup comp.risks).