CTAN submission -- preview-latex 0.6

Reinhard Zierke zierke at dante.de
Tue Feb 19 12:30:31 CET 2002

----- Forwarded message from David Kastrup -----

I have uploaded preview-latex-0.6.tar.gz and
preview-0.6.tar.gz to the incoming directory of ftp.dante.de.
Its license is the GPL.

I would recommend installing it in the following way:

Put the packed archive preview-latex-0.6.tar.gz under
support/preview-latex/
and unpack the
README from it to support/preview-latex/README
Create a symbolic link from
support/preview-latex/preview-latex.tar.gz
preview-latex-0.6.tar.gz
so that people can always get the newest version under this name.

Unpack preview-0.6.tar.gz in the directory
macros/latex/contrib/supported/preview/

It contains just README-preview, preview.dtx and preview.ins.

The reason is that the preview.dtx file can also be used as a
standalone LaTeX style for extracting selected elements from a LaTeX
source into separate pages of a DVI file.

Previous versions of preview-latex can be deleted.

Here are the release notes:

Release notes for version 0.6 of the preview-latex package:

preview-latex is a system for displaying inline images of selected
parts of a file in Emacs source buffers.  It is released under the GNU
Public License (GPL).  At the current point of time, GNU Emacs-21.1,
AUC TeX, a working LaTeX installation and GhostScript are required.
XEmacs support is not yet operative, and contributions would be
welcome.  Due to missing image support of Emacs-21.1 under Microsoft
Windows, this platform is not usable at the current point of time,
either.

Release focus is user interface improvements and documentation.  Main
point has been an attempt to refrain from disabling previews unless
the text under it has indeed changed and not just been replaced by
something identical or decorated with font-lock.  This makes
preview-latex behave better when filling paragraphs, for example.
Menu entries for clearing out previews again have been added, and
temporary directories are removed when leaving Emacs.  A TeXinfo manual
has been started.  Provision has been made for configuration files
prdefault.cfg and prauctex.cfg for commonly defined operations.  The
latter file is provided and installed.

User feedback about errors and suggested feature improvements is
welcome and heeded.  The home page is
<URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>, the SourceForge project
page that among others offers anonymous CVS access is located at
<URL:http://sourceforge.net/projects/preview-latex>.

For users of RedHat linux, a RPM is provided at the above site
primarily for RH 7.x. The RPM requires a few packages:

* GhostScript 6.51 is included in RH 7.2, but if you use an earlier
  release it can be downloaded from the RH7.2 updates,
  <URL:ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.2/en/os/i386/>

* AUC TeX can be found at several places, but if you want the latest
  11.11 (alpha, but stable AFAIK) with no known issues concerning
  preview-latex, an RPM can be found at the project homepage.

* Finally, Emacs-21.1 can be downloaded from rawhide,
  <URL:ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/>.
  I installed this using 'rpm -i --nodeps --force', which worked for
  me, but since it does not follow the usual emacs + emacs-X11 +
  emacs-nox, YMMV.