Booktabs (at long last!)

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 20 00:37:46 CEST 2002

Claire Connelly writes:

> I have uploaded Simon Fear's booktabs package to
> cam.ctan.org/incoming (in booktabs.tar.gz).
>
> The files in that archive should replace the current version of
> booktabs on CTAN, located in
>
>    macros/latex/contrib/supported/booktabs
>
> (Simon didn't send me the readme file -- it can presumably stay
> the same.)

there isn't a readme file: i guess we have to make do with the
excellent documentation found (in the usual way) in the .dtx source.

> Booktabs is, with Simon's okay, now licensed under the GPL -- see
> below for details.
>
> Booktabs is, of course, a package that allows you to produce
> publication-quality tables (ala _The Chicago Manual of Style_), as
> opposed to the standard tableaux seen in nearly every book on
> LaTeX.  Relicensing it means that it can once again be included in
> teTeX (and Debian).
>
> Simon's okay to replace the current version follows:
>
>     SF> From: simoncfear at netscape.net
>     SF> Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 12:34:34 -0400
>     SF> To: cmc at debian.org
>     SF> Subject: booktabs package license
>     SF> Message-ID: <0F3134B7.65CB45D5.1077F333 at netscape.net>
>
>     SF> Dear Claire,
>
>     SF> sorry for not responding sooner. Robin Fairbairns phoned
>     SF> me to remind me, I promised to send it to him this weekend
>     SF> but my normal server is down, and I don't have his email -
>     SF> would you please forward this to him.
>
>     SF> Please (either of you) insert the necessary LaTeX
>     SF> copyright where it currently says "Copyright Simon
>     SF> Fear". You have my complete permission to do this. (I
>     SF> think LaTeX rather than GPL, since it has no meaning
>     SF> outside LaTeX, but if you prefer GPL, that's fine by me.)
>     SF> Also, please run and correct the checksum, which will
>     SF> obviously now be wrong. Last but by no means least, please
>     SF> suitably edit the .ins file, which currently claims this
>     SF> is part of the LaTeX distribution (because I stole it more
>     SF> or less wholesale from one of the main packages).

(this has been done, i presume by claire.)

>     SF> Sorry I haven't been able to do this myself, if there is a
>     SF> problem please email both simon.fear at serono.ch and
>     SF> simoncfear at netscape.com but I may not be able to be online
>     SF> until Monday week, so fingers crossed this is all OK.
>
>     SF> Please keep this package under "supported". I know I kept
>     SF> you waiting but when I get user queries I do still try to
>     SF> reply by return.
>
>     SF> Thanks for your encouragement

thanks to all involved, in helping us find simon, and especially to
claire for being the point of contact through which this new version
has arrived.

i've installed the files in the tarball, replacing the originals at
macros/latex/contrib/supported/booktabs