CTAN submission: updated font metrics for Lucida Bright and LuxiMono

Reinhard Zierke zierke at dante.de
Thu Mar 13 11:19:19 CET 2003

Walter Schmidt asked us to update two packages:

I have uploaded the file lucida-20030312.zip to the /incoming
directory at dante.ctan.org.  Please, unpack it to the CTAN
directory
           fonts/metrics/bh/lucida

thus replacing the current files and adding some new ones.

These are updated fonts metrics and VFs for Y&Y's commercial
LucidaBright fonts.  Recent improvements to the "fontinst"
tool and changes to the TeXBase1 encoding made it possible
to fix some long-standing deficiencies:

* all typewriter fonts have got vertically centered
  asterisks now;

* all textcompanion fonts have got vertically centered
 \textaskeriskcented symbols now;

* the Omega symbol \textohm is made available in all
  textcompanion fonts.

See the file "readme.lucida" for further minor changes,
which affect the layout of the distribution.

I am fully aware, that these font metrics were updated only
recently.  Thus, it may seem as if an important piece of
software has become unstable as soon as I started touching
it ;-)  However, I think that the Lucida font metrics
should profit as soon as possible from the above-mentioned
improvements.  Note that the character widths are unchanged,
as compared with the previous release, so there should be no
compatibility problems.
I have uploaded the files "README.luximono" and "ul9.zip" to the
/incoming directory at dante.ctan.org.  Please, move them to the
directory
           fonts/LuxiMono

thus replacing the current ones.  These are updated fonts metrics
and VFs for the LuxiMono typewriter fonts.  Recent improvements
to the "fontinst" tool made it possible to fix a long-standing
deficiency of many typewriter fonts (incl. Luxi):  the asterisk
symbols are now vertically centered, as required for typical
applications.  The Type1 font files on CTAN remain, of course,
unchanged.

I installed the new and changed files as suggested in the directories
CTAN:/fonts/metrics/bh/lucida/ and CTAN:fonts/LuxiMono/.

Reinhard Zierke
for the CTAN team