Changes in CTAN directory fonts/psfonts (and its descendents)

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 11:23:45 CEST 2004

fonts/psfonts was created long ago, when fontinst was new, and
computers were so slow that running it (let alone preparing to run it)
was a serious undertaking.

The metrics created back then, kept on ctan in directories
fonts/psfonts/(adobe|xadobe|monotype|xmono), have been extremely
useful, over the years.  However, they don't match modern ideas about
using the commercial fonts they support.

We now have a modern set of metrics, provided and maintained by Walter
Schmidt, which substantially replace the old metrics.

Therefore, we have deleted the directories
fonts/psfonts/(adobe|xadobe|monotype|xmono)

New directories are:

fonts/psfonts/ly1            metrics for the basic "35 fonts" set, using
                             ly1 encoding
fonts/psfonts/psnfss-metrics links to metrics for the basic "35 fonts"
                             set, using T1/TS1 encodings (and a set of pk
                             files for the same fonts)
fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt    metrics for other commercial fonts

fonts/psfonts/ly1 and fonts/psfonts/psnfss-metrics contain files and
links that were previously in fonts/psfonts itself.

Some README files remain to be updated/written, but we believe the
changes will make life less confusing for users.