New/revised CTAN packages --- B1 encoding and Artificial Uncial script

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at dante.de
Sun Dec 4 12:45:43 CET 2005

Peter Wilson writes:

>     I have uploaded b1encoding.tar.gz and auncial.tar.gz to UK incoming.
> These are under the LPPL.
>
>     I leave it up to your judgement where they might go on CTAN.

see below.

>     The auncial file contains a PostScript Type1 font of the Artificial
> Uncial bookhand, plus supporting packages. (MetaFont code is buried inside
> but unused). The Type1 was generated from original MetaFont sources extended
> to cover 253 characters.
>
>     Because the bookhands (used between the 1st and 16th centuries for
> manuscripts) typically have a somewhat different character set to modern
> fonts I created a new encoding for them which I have called B1 (for
> Bookhands, and mainly similar to the regular T1 encoding). The encoding
> files are in b1encoding.tar.gz.
>
>     There is an existing (short) MetaFont version of Artificial Uncial on
> CTAN in fonts/bookhands/auncial.
>
>     The Type1 version and the B1 encoding are new endeavours --- they work
> on my system but I don't know about anyone else being able to use them. I
> think that it would be a reasonable idea to keep the present
> bookhands/auncial and put the new stuff somewhere else (under the bookhands
> directory?) so that others can try the fonts before coming to any final
> decisions. Particularly, is the B1 encoding a good way to go?

after some discussion, i understand that while the new version of
auncial is intended as a replacement for the existing one, Peter would
rather it stood on its own while potential users evaluate it.  i have
also discussed the proposed B1 encoding within the latex project, and
we have agreed that there's no point in opposing it (its structure
fits the stated requirements for latex-compatible encodings).

i have therefore installed b1encoding for review at

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/b1encoding/

and for download from

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/b1encoding.zip

and the new auncial font set for review at

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/auncial-new/

and for download from

  http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/auncial-new.zip

we do of course anticipate that fonts/auncial-new will ultimately take
the place of fonts/bookhands/auncial

i have created a catalogue entry for b1encoding, and and entry for
auncial-new is still in preparation.

thanks, peter, for the uploads.