Experimental CTAN Tree: commercial/

CTAN Announcements ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu
Mon Nov 7 21:22:40 CET 2005

The CTAN team has, over the years, had requests to hold "sample"
packages from, or limited-use versions of, commercial products.  Because
these may be of interest to our visitors, we have decided to try
providing such a facility.  We will be creating a new tree "commercial/"
in the near future.

Commercial suppliers of TeX-related material will be welcome to make
submissions for such a tree via our usual upload mechanism.  We expect
to eventually migrate all of the shareware that we hold to this tree, as
time permits.

We are aware of potential pitfalls arising from this expansion, so we
wish to note two cautions.

  (1) We cannot operate as a sales site.  In particular, we are unable
under any circumstances to take money for this service.

  (2) All Internet users are aware of the explosion of programs that
steal from users, whether by stealing personal information, or credit
card numbers, or passwords, or by stealing the user's system resources.
One reservation that we have is that a "commercial/" tree would carry
with it a greater potential for us to inadvertently add to this
explosion.

  Therefore, we retain the right to reject any materials that we judge
to be malware, or to remove it from the archive when it is reported to
us.  "Malware" includes software containing viruses or trojans.  It also
includes spyware, i.e., software components that transmit personal or
system information without knowledge or approval of the user.  Judgement
as to what software falls into this category will be at the sole
discretion of the CTAN team.

Jim Hefferon
for the CTAN team
comments to: ctan (at) dante.de