[Fwd: tug.ctan.org upload: pracjourn]

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 17:29:23 CET 2006

> Below is an upload from Will Robertson that I somehow contrived to misplace.
> He prompted me, and on reading it, I want to consult before I reply.
>
> He is perhaps a bit vague, but I think he is proposing m/l/c/journals/pracjourn .
> I think he is volunteering to find in our holdings other journal classes,
> and then we can move them.
>
> I can think of a number of reasons to resist that (sounds like work; authors
> and others have links to the present locations on web pages; some packages are
> multi-usage, etc.).  But OTOH he is an enthusiastic fellow who perhaps could be
> encouraged and someday induced to do some of my work.

you mean, running mathematics at smc?  ;-)

> I'm inclinded to at least install this package under journals/ and caution him,
> but I thought I should ask wiser heads.

i see no particular reason not to install his thing under journals.
but, given that our long-term aim is metadata-based access, rather
than path-based, moving other packages about has no real benefit,
except possibly in the short term, and has the various negative
effects that you suggest.

so i would politely decline.

i just happened to notice a paper of robertson's on the pracjourn
pages, at lunch-time; he was saying how he found himself hooked on
tex, which i think is a bad sign.  as a whole, i find pracjourn stuff
sort-of-faintly-interesting, but seldom enough to warrant a link from
the faq (which is why i scan it anyway).  [i've not read your
contribution from a while back.]