CTAN tug.ctan.org upload: purifyeps

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at dante.de
Thu Dec 2 20:42:01 CET 2010

This should be at your local mirror.

Jim Hef{}feron
Saint Michael's College

The following information was provided by our fellow contributor:

Name of contribution: purifyeps
Version number: 1.1
Author's name: Scott Pakin
Location on CTAN: /support/purifyeps
Summary description: Make EPS work with both LaTeX/dvips and pdfLaTeX.
License type: lppl

While pdfLaTeX has a number of nice features, its primary
shortcoming relative to standard LaTeX+dvips is that it is
unable to read ordinary Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files,
the most common graphics format in the LaTeX world.
purifyeps converts EPS files into a "purified" form that can
be read by *both* LaTeX+dvips and pdfLaTeX.  The trick is
that the standard LaTeX2e graphics packages can parse
MetaPost-produced EPS directly.  Hence, purifyeps need only
convert an arbitrary EPS file into the same stylized format
that MetaPost outputs.

Version 1.1 includes two helpful changes.  First, in
response to a discussion on the tex-live mailing list, the
program now issues a more user-friendly error message if
pstoedit (a support tool required by purifyeps) is not found
on the search path.  Second, purifyeps incorporates a patch
provided by Markus Kohm to search for pstoedit's mpost.fmp
file in a standard set of directories.

This package is at
   http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/purifyeps
.  Information is at
   http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/purifyeps
(it may take a day for the information to appear).  We are supported
by the TeX Users Group http://www.tug.org .  For your users group
see http://www.tug.org/usergroups.html .