CTAN package reinstated: keyreader

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at dante.de
Thu Dec 22 12:50:47 CET 2011

the daemon wrote, yesterday:

> The following information was provided by the package's contributor.
>
> Name of contribution: keyreader
> Author's name: Ahmed Musa
> Author's email: amusa at gmail.com
> Package version: 0.4
> Location on CTAN: macros/latex/contrib/keyreader/
> Summary description: A robust interface to the xkeyval package.
> License type: lppl
>
> Announcement text given by the package's contributor:
> 1. Some of the features of the package have been moved to the ltxkeys
> package, where more robustness can be found. But the keyreader package
> continues to be used by some TeXnicians, long after I abandoned it. I
> don't know how TeXLive kept it on long after it disappeared from
> CTAN. Now it is officially back anew.
>
> 2. I used it as a testing platform for the ltxkeys package because the
> xkeyval package, for all its shortcomings, has been stable and widely
> used for years. Even now I send the keyreader package to users of
> ltxkeys package to benchmark problems with the ltxkeys package. So it
> is right that it returns to CTAN.
>
> 3. New interfaces for defining and setting keys have been introduced.
>
> 4. The alternate/admissible values of choice keys can now have
> individual callbacks. Incidentally, the implementation of this feature
> in the keyreader package is more optimized than that of the ltxkeys
> package. In the future there will be a need to return to the ltxkeys
> package on this matter.
>
> 5. The selective sanitization procedure of the xkeyval package has
> been replaced by the new list normalization scheme of the keyreader
> package. The relevant macros of the xkeyval package have been hacked.
>
> 6. For some users of xkeyval's \define at key command, the fact that a
> space between the key name and its callback/function can cause
> problems in key definition has been annoying. But this isn't the fault
> of the xkeyval package. Well, the keyreader package has addressed this
> concern: the space causes no more headache.
>
> 7. Still, as in the xkeyval package, it isn't possible to pass
> unbalanced conditionals as key values in the keyreader
> package. ltxkeys to the rescue.

thanks for the upload; i've installed the new version, and updated the
catalogue repository.

> Users may view the package catalogue entry at
>   http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/keyreader.html
> or they may browse the package directory at
>   http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/keyreader/

The catalogue entry (at the address above) will change (somewhat)
overnight tonight.  (For some reason it remained when the previous
package was removed from the archive -- at other sites, the web entry
will no doubt reappear overnight.)