CTAN update: pcarl

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at dante.de
Wed Jan 12 19:12:03 CET 2011

This should be at your local mirror.

Jim Hef{}feron
Saint Michael's College

The following information was provided by our fellow contributor:

Name of contribution: pcarl
Version number: 1.0a
Author's name: Boris Veytsman
Location on CTAN: /fonts/pcarl
Summary description: LaTeX Support for Adobe Caslon Open Face
License type: other-free

Caslon Open Face font was desgined by Barnhart Brothers and
Spindler
in 1915.  It was initially colled College Oldstyle and based
on Le
Moreau de Jeune from G. Peignot foundry.  Its realtion to the
classical Caslon font family is rather distant.
Nevertheless it is a
nice titling and display font.

Adobe sells OTF version of this font, but other versions,
including
Type 1 are still available from other vendors, including
http://www.fonts.com.  Note that there are many ``free''
variants of
this font available for downloading on various sites; I
chose not to
use them because of unclear license status.

While modern engines like XeTeX and LuaTeX can use system fonts
directly, the installation base of the other systems is
huge, so it
might be worthwile to release support files.

The name pcarl follows the standard Fontname scheme for
Adobe Caslon
Open Face.

This package was commssioned by Annals of Mathematics,
http://annals.princeton.edu/.

Changes:

   Version 1.0a
       Documentation cleanup

This package is at
   http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/pcarl
.  Information is at
   http://tug.ctan.org/pkg/pcarl
(it may take a day for the information to appear).  We are supported
by the TeX Users Group http://www.tug.org .  For your users group
see http://www.tug.org/usergroups.html .