CTAN update: pgf

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at ctan.org
Fri Dec 20 15:18:14 CET 2019

Henri Menke submitted an update to the

                pgf

package.

Version number: 3.1.5
License type: lppl1.3c gpl2 fdl

Summary description: Create PostScript and PDF graphics in TeX

# BREAKING CHANGES

- The computation of path times in the `intersection` library was wrong
when sorting intersections and did therefore not work correctly (#480).
This is fixed now, but that also means that the order of intersections
might change if you were using sorting before.  You can easily check this
by looking for `\pgfintersectionsortbyfirstpath` and
`\pgfintersectionsortbyfirstpath` or the `sort by` key if you are using
intersections in Ti*k*Z.

- It turned out that in `\pgf at protocolsizes` the `\pgf at path@size at hook` was
executed only if the picture was actually to be placed. This led to the
problem that the `local bounding box` was not updated correctly (#795).
To correct this, the hook is now executed unconditionally.

- To get name prefixes for `pic` working (#311) the resolution of node
names in `\tikz at calc@anchor` now has two stages.  First it tries to look
up the prefixed name and uses it if it exists.  If there is no prefixed
name, the global name without prefix will be looked up and used (fixes
#717).  Previously, if the prefixed name did not exist and error was
issued immediately without attempting to look up the global name.

- There was a bug in old PGF versions that the body of `\pgfkeysedef` was
not fully expanded #305.  This was fixed in PGF 3.1 (ac33f7e5) by the use
of `\scantokens`.  Unfortunately when expanding the body the catcodes at
the point of use are taken instead of the catcodes at the point of
definition.  This led to new bugs like #669.  With the new version we are
taking a middle ground. We support macro definitions within edef bodies by
doubling all the hashes followed by numbers.  All other hashes have to be
escaped manually.  We assume that this is not a common use case.

# New features

You can read about these new features in the manual:

- The `patterns.meta` library now provides a couple of predefined patterns
which can be used as replacements for the ones provided by the `patterns`
library.

- Tight bounding boxes for Bezier curves using the `bbox` library.  This
feature was contributed by @tallmarmot.  Thanks!

- New pgfkeys handler `.evaluated`

- The RGB color model is now supported in Plain TeX, i.e. values can be
integers 0-255 instead of floats 0-1 for rgb.

- Annotations for code examples in the manual as to which libraries are
required.  These were contributed by Stefan Pinnow (@Mo-Gul).  Thanks!

- GitHub issue templates for more streamlined bug reporting.

- New build system based on Lua.  We'd like to have a more cross-platform
build system.  The old system was based on Makefiles, which will be
retained for a while but gradually phased out.  In the future we hope to
be able to implement a regression test suite.

# Removed features

- In the last release the undocumented commands `\rawx`, `\rawy`, `\rawz`,
and `\coord` were added to the `\path let` operation. These proved to be
not as useful as anticipated (#731) and were therefore removed again.

# Bug fixes

Lots of bug fixes.  On GitHub you can click the commit hashes and the
issue numbers to get to the fix and the ticket, respectively.

0b095288 #793
ba8628c8 #804
c6ef774c #305 #669
135e361e #759