CTAN update: impatient

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at ctan.org
Sun Jan 5 15:03:22 CET 2020

Karl Berry submitted an update to the

                impatient

package.

Version number: 2020-01-03
License type: fdl

Summary description: Free edition of the book "TeX for the Impatient"

TeX for the Impatient is a book on plain TeX, originally published by
Addison-Wesley, written by Paul Abrahams, with Kathryn Hargreaves and
me. It has been freely available under the GFDL since 2003.

This release in 2020 fixes just a few minor, but aggravating, bugs, such
as the wrong dingbat marker on control sequences (thans to William Adams
for this, and more). Also, triple stretchability was in effect for most
of the book due to an unrestored \fontdimen (grouping doesn't count!)
which has been present in all editions to date (thanks to David Fuchs,
for this and more). I also took the opportunity to fix a few other
longstanding errors in the transition to the free edition, and
suboptimal wording in the original in a few places.

Plenty of opportunity for improvement remains. The book is looking for a
maintainer; see README and errata.future for ideas. I (Karl) don't plan
to make any more releases, unless significant bugs are found. But you
can email me at karl at freefriends.org if need be.

The book also exists as a GNU package, home page
https://gnu.org/software/teximpatient/, but that is now maintained by
someone else, so I have uploaded this new version only to CTAN:
https://ctan.org/pkg/impatient.
There are no off-CTAN public resources for this release.

Happy (e)plain TeXing,
Karl

This package is located at
   http://mirror.ctan.org/info/impatient

More information is at
   https://www.ctan.org/pkg/impatient

   Thanks for the upload.

     For the CTAN Team
    Manfred Lotz

CTAN is run entirely by volunteers and supported by TeX user groups.
Please join a user group or donate to one, see https://ctan.org/lugs .