CTAN update: unitipa

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at ctan.org
Thu Oct 21 18:35:36 CEST 2021

निरंजन submitted an update to the

                unitipa

package.

Version:  0.4 2021-10-20
License:  gpl3+ fdl

Summary description:  TIPA typefaces with Unicode characters as input

 I have stopped maintaining this package and also taken it
 back from the distributions as I have realized that it is
 not ideal to use this package. The only purpose I had in
 mind while writing this package was to get the visual shapes
 of TIPA with Unicode characters in the input. This purpose
 is served very well by the CMU-serif font. Please refer to
 the file CMU-serif.tex and its output pdf to see the
 characters that differ visually. They are just 4 which is a
 very small number and the difference is not very much. I
 have compared almost all the characters, but commented the
 ones which show the exact same visual shape. You can
 uncomment those lines from the source code to test it
 yourself.

 I apologize for providing a package that wasn't really
 producing good results. A comment on StackExchange by an
 expert user warned me about the use of Computer Modern
 Unicode font, instead of using T3 encoding, but because of
 my inexperience in LaTeX I assumed that this font is the
 default font in every document (which isn't true). I tried
 compiling a document with the default font i.e. Latin Modern
 and I couldn't see the characters that I had listed in the
 package documentation. Therefore I wrote this package. Now
 that I have come to know about a more modern and recommended
 way of getting the TIPA shapes in our documents, I am taking
 this package back. The git repository of this project won't
 accept issues and MRs henceforth, but the project
 development and history will still be publicly available in
 the archived state.

 Best,
 निरंजन
 2021/10/20

The package’s Catalogue entry can be viewed at
   https://ctan.org/pkg/unitipa

The package’s files themselves can be inspected at
   https://mirrors.ctan.org/obsolete/macros/luatex/latex/unitipa/

   Thanks for the upload.

     For the CTAN Team
    Petra Rübe-Pugliese