CTAN Update: natbib 8.0

CTAN Announcements ctan-ann at dante.de
Mon Feb 5 15:18:29 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Patrick Daly submitted a new version of the

  natbib

package.

The natbib package provides a style with author-year and numbered
references, as well as much detailed of support for other bibliography
use.  Provides versions of the standard BibTeX styles that are compatible
with natbib - plainnat, unsrtnat, abbrnat.  The bibliography styles
produced by custom-bib are designed from the start to be compatible with
natbib.

Location on CTAN: /macros/latex/contrib/natbib
Summary description: Update to natbib package, based on user suggestions, wishes
License type: lppl

List of changes (from the README.v80 file)
  v8.0  Add \setcitestyle to simplify changing citation punctuation; is to replace
        \bibpunct, which is retained for compatibility.

        Citation style commands (\setcitestyle, \citestyle, \bibpunct) are no longer
        limited to the preamble; in particular they may be issued in different chapters
        with the chapterbib package; even the author--year or numerical mode can
        be switched and the bibliography is adjusted accordingly. (This has long
        been requested by several users.) The docstrip option 'nopreonly' is therefore
        removed, since it is now always active.

        Support for LaTeX 2.09 is removed; I no longer can test it and it only
        complicates the source file.

        Package option 'colon' always meant putting a semi-colon between multiple
        citations. This seems odd to me, but I probably thought 'semicolon' was
        too long. I now have 'semicolon' to be explicit, but 'colon' is still
        retained (as semi-colon).

  v7.5  (Never released, it is the preliminary 8.0)
        Superscript citations: if braces specified, they are also superscripted
        in both in-text and parenthetical citations. Any optional notes are
        printed before and after as regular text.

        Add \citenum{key} to print the number, even in author-year mode. And
        without superscripting and without parentheses. This is so
        superscripted citations can be referred to in-text as regular numbers.

        In-text numerical citations with notes: the notes are now outside the parentheses
        as this appears more logical. For parenthetical citations, notes are still
        inside.

        The indexing of citations now has the default format Author [num]  in numerical mode.
        Previously it was  Author [date]  in both.

This package is located at
   http://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/natbib
.  More information is at
   http://tug.ctan.org/info/?id=natbib
(if the package is new it may take a day for that information to
appear).  We are supported by the TeX Users Group http://www.tug.org .
Please join a users group; see http://www.tug.org/usergroups.html .

Thanks for the upload.

For the CTAN Team