New MiKTeX and LaTeX releases

Reinhard Zierke zierke at dante.de
Thu Sep 27 09:24:13 CEST 2001

Andreas Hirsch wrote:
> zu meiner "Uberraschung musste ich eben auf der MiKTeX-Seite lesen,
> dass das j"ahrliche Update verf"ugbar ist.
>
> Ich dachte, sowas erf"ahrt man hier als erster ...

[ Translation:  Andreas asks why the MiKTeX update has been announced
on the MiKTeX website but not on CTAN ]

We send to CTAN-ANN information about things that we manually install
on the CTAN hosts unless these are minor updates (whatever that is).
Lots of other things get mirrored from other sites though, e.g. MiKTeX.
Unfortunately we can't announce such things regularly as we would have
to wade through each updated package, analyse the - hopefully existent -
readme files, etc.  Therefore we have to trust the owners of packages
mirrored to CTAN to announce their new versions by themselves.  Of
course we are glad if they send us a release/update notice that we can
forward to CTAN-ANN.

Having said all this, I should add that the LaTeX release <2001/06/01>
is on CTAN for two days now.  See
CTAN:/tex-archive/macros/latex/doc/ltnews14.{dvi,pdf,ps}
for news.

Reinhard Zierke
for the CTAN team